Week 4 Story: Theron and Ana

Theron and Ana

Theron's Charm and the Anger of  Coeus

In a certain college campus there lived four brothers of surpassing charm. Although all of them were really lovely, only one bore such beauty and intellect that the whole town was under his spell. Anyone who met him was dumbfounded at his alluring charisma and couldn't fathom a mortal to be so god-like in looks but in knowledge as well. 

The curiosity of skeptics drove people from neighboring towns to see the statuesque heartthrob. He mesmerized men and women of all ages with his advances in engineering and science research. Crowds of eager students in awe at his divine looks. His charm afforded the hearts of many, of which he could achieve nearly anything he desired at arm's length. Rumor seized across the nation that he must be the god Coeus. 


Coeus, the god of intelligence, turned to his secret lover with rage. 

"Venus, behold me, the source of all knowledge of imperial divinity is undermined by a human. I am the smartest being that will ever be, but I fear his attractiveness may surpass me and overshadow my genius."

Venus scoffs at him, "I wouldn't even imagine you to be his match. Of course he would surpass you. These newer generations are starting to get really nice cross-traits. You can't seriously imagine anyone that might have better competition up against him?"

Coeus stares blankly back at Venus.

"Our daughter?", said Venus.

"Ah, yes. The brightest, beautiful Ana. But what about her? I'm not sure what you're getting at."

Venus rolled her eyes and sighed, "Must I handle this myself? I thought you were the smart one."

Venus then calls upon her daughter, Ana.  Venus explained the situation and showed her Theron in person--such was the charming man's name. "Seek vengeance for your worried father and punish the mortal with your quick wit. Make him choose one or the other: vanity or brains. The one he gives up will be polar opposite to what it was before. May he either have dust fill his head or wear a wretched face on it."


Divinity Island

Ana deliberated her mother's plot as she descended to Earth. Ana was unlike her mother in the quick distaste for the humans. In fact, Ana had only agreed to the request in interest of Theron herself. She had yet to meet any suitable god to her liking. 

Ana came upon Theron who was fast asleep. She swiftly carried him by wing to an island across the universe of seas, untouched and unseen by men and gods alike. There Ana had created a safe place for her mind to wander and so brought this mortal she shared much of herself with. The island was plush with green, exotic foliage. Trees abundant with fruit, bursting with color and ripeness. Ana momentarily cleared the way of a double waterfall and to enter the island home. 

~to be continued~

Comments

  1. Hey Hannah!
    Great story!! I loved how your characterized Venus and Coeus in this story; they feel like really fleshed out characters. I wonder why Venus, and not Coeus, made the whole plan though. If Coeus was supposed to be the source of all intelligence, wouldn't he have at least understand the plan, if not making it himself? I would have liked to hear at least a line from Ana in this first installment of the serious, if only just to understand her personality a little more. She definitely seems interesting, but all we know is that she disobeyed Venus to get to know Theron a little more. Was it only genuine curiosity motivating her? Or was it love/lust? Or does she just have a rebellious streak? Anyway, I am actually in the Indian Epics class, so I don't really get a chance to pop over and interact with the Myths and Folklore class, so thanks for being my first good introduction to your side of the online class! I can't wait to read the other installments!
    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah! Great story! I honestly want to read the sequel, because just when I was getting invested, it ended too soon. I love that you gave Venus so much sass. I don't know the story this is based on, so I guess I wasn't expecting Ana to not immediately do her parents' bidding. The fact that she brought Theron to a secret little island away from both gods and mortals makes me suspect there's some definite romance in their future, but I guess I'll have to look for the sequel to find out! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah!

    I like your story so far. I'm not sure what story you based it on, but it reminded me of the Cupid and Psyche story but with a gender-swap. So, if that is right, then I really liked the gender-swap. I think it's so cliche for women to be envious of other women, so I liked that you switched it around.

    Why did you have Venus come up with the plan? Also, I was wondering why Venus and Coeus were 'secret' lovers? Will Ana and Theron become lovers the way Cupid and Psyche did, with Ana only appearing at night and not letting Theron see her face.

    I would suggest adding in more detail to the next story. I would love to know more about the character's feelings and their backstories. I would also have liked to know where Theron and his brothers lived, and what the other brothers' names are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Chemical Engineer