Hamburg, Germany

My mother's side of the family have lived in northern Germany for generations, until my mom met my dad. She followed him to the States to wherever he'd be stationed next. Well, we've landed in Oklahoma indefinitely.

We visit our family in Germany every six years or so. They live in a small town just an hour and a half from Hamburg.

 Hamburg, Germany has always been a place I see myself living a fabulous life in. There's limitless joys contained here, even in the most simplest of things. Whether it's the historic Innenstadt or the surrounding suburbs, there's gems on every corner.

The heart of Hamburg has a mix of stunning neo-Renaissance architecture that has stood for centuries, like the Rathaus, and modern, sleek buildings like the new Elbphilharmonie. I've spent hours walking the streets and being overwhelmed at all of the trendiest shops: designer brands I've never heard of, local boutiques, old cafes, outdoor restaurants littering the sidewalks, ice cream shops on every block. The food in Germany is so insane I would rather write another blog about that sometime soon. Seriously, if I could move to Germany and have a career in being a "foodie", I wouldn't even bother packing.
Above is a picture of the Elbe River with some of the older buildings along it.

Aside from all the sights and food, one of my favorite things about Hamburg is the lifestyle. I suppose it's generally the European lifestyle. The simplest things are glamorous. How excited and happy people are going for a walk, picnic, ice skating, grilling, etc. with their family or friends. Health and economically conscience: walking/bike riding preferred for "in town" activities, taking mass (and cheap) transportation to neighboring cities, fresh produce always bought fresh and cooked regularly, super integrated recycling system, alcohol and junk food seen as a moderate pleasure.
My all-time favorite lifestyle tip living in Germany is that natural is the most beautiful.

All I can say is I hope I have the opportunity to live in Germany one day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Chemical Engineer

Week 4 Story: Theron and Ana