Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche Part A

Cupid and Psyche
Apuleius
http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/myth-folklore-unit-apuleiuss-cupid-and.html


This is the first mythology story I've read that I want to keep reading thus far. I'm actually excited to read the next part because I'm eager to know what happens. The language style is a lot easier for me to read than some of the older English versions of mythology/folklore stories. 

It was interesting to read the overview after reading the stories. Cupid and Psyche was compared to the love story of Beauty and the Beast, which I wouldn't have thought of right away while reading. I only know the Disney version of Beauty and the Beast and not the original tale. In that case, I would disagree that the love stories are similar--but I'm interested to read the original story to see if there are stronger connects.

I would go as far to say the story of Cupid and Psyche remind me more of both Cinderella and Game of Thrones. This is why: 

                        Cinderella: Psyche and Cinderella both have wicked, jealous step sisters that plot                                                     against their own happiness with their respective significant others (Cupid                                             and the Prince). One could say that Psyche is Cinderella; the beautiful                                                   soon-to-be wife of a superior being. In contrast, Cupid is also like that of                                               Cinderella where Psyche is that of the Prince because Psyche and the                                                     Prince reveal the true identity of their lovers and continue to fall in love                                                 with them. 
             Game of Thrones: Hear me out, Psyche is Daenerys Targaryen and Cupid is Khal Drogo.                                                   Psyche and Daenerys are both women of extreme beauty and town                                                         heartthrobs that are sent off to a "mysterious husband". Cupid and Khal                                                 Drogo are both hierarchical figures that demand pure loyalty from their                                                 wives, expect love-making (and get rather upset when their wives cry                                                     during), and give them a child. Both couples fall in love without prior                                                   knowing each other, even with initial reluctance on both sides.

The main reason I enjoyed reading this unit was because it felt the same as reading Twilight for the first time, years ago. The romance buds in an odd, slow, lingering, yet whimsical fashion. It's odd because this mortal woman, Psyche, who is apparently "too beautiful" to be wed to any mortal townie. Then when Psyche sparks jealously from the hottest goddess in the universe, Venus, to which she schemes a plan to punish her by sending her own son, Cupid, to make her fall in love. Psyche is cast off to the magical palace were she is wed, bedded, and with child from a man she hasn't seen before... now that's erotic. The extensive descriptions such as "I'd rather die a hundred times than be robbed by your sweet caresses", provide a tangible, face-flushing giddiness.  

I mean, honestly the best part is when we find out Cupid is in love with Psyche by way of his own arrow as well. It's fate, I ship them really hard. I hope they end up together in the end, I'll let you know what's next in my next reading blog. I already have some ideas from this story to make my own, but that'll be explored more in my next blog as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Chemical Engineer

Week 7 Story: Why the Dog and Cat are Enemies