Learning Challenge: Sleep Science

dream

I'm typically a sucker for science podcasts and articles especially those medical or chemistry related. Sleep studies are such a fascinating mystery that I would love to participate in for research both on myself and in general. 

My father struggles with insomnia and sleep apnea, of which I can't be sure he's had all of his life of developed it later in life. I definitely have sleeping problems. I can't be sure it's one thing exactly or if it's just because I have the typical college student sleeping schedule. The article I read was a transcript of an interview with sleep researcher from Harvard, Berkeley, Northwestern, and Mayo Clinic (we got the big boys out here). The discussion was quite lengthy to read but I was completely immersed in the topic range. The interview caught my eye because it presents how memory if a function of sleep. However, once you dive in, the experts touch upon a wide range of biological functions of sleep. 

I'm ultimately reaching a nerdy climax, as in, reading this article inspires me to stop what I'm doing and call up a professor and learn more about sleep studies. Then I want to call my doctor to schedule me for a polysomnography (a sleep test) to see how I react to sleep and find out how much sleep I require to maintain optimal memory storage. I think it would be man's next advance if we could conquer sleep to maximize brain efficiency. I definitely have Megamind ideas on how it could go if we could discover the curiosities of sleep. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Chemical Engineer

Week 7 Story: Why the Dog and Cat are Enemies